My career started working with hardcore embedded c for professional broadcast equipment. Lots of interesting stuff. For me programming is play and it was great fun.
The project that I’m most proud of came out of that. We were working on a new platform of products. Out of some 20% time I came up with the idea for, and implemented, a web app that allowed the hardware guys to design the software for their products. The smallest product had 80 parameters that were network controllable, that interacted with each other and the hardware. The system would generate the above mentioned embedded c for each product. At the peak of that platform there were about 40 products that were created with my app.
The interesting thing about the project was that I had come up with the idea and it was my baby. Instead of working on the software for just one product I had essentially committed to the system for all of them. I had to step up and make it work. Many challenges had to be overcome. To me it was satisfying to build it from scratch and make it work. That work led to a number of high profile projects.
I made a brief stop at Microsoft.
After Microsoft I’ve been on an extended working Sabbatical. I’ve traveled in France, Japan and a bit in the US. I’m currently living in Paris, France
I’ve worked on a number of iOS apps. I got into iOS as soon as Apple created the first SDK. My apps are either fully done by me or in partnership with others. Though I’ve done all the coding and most of the design. Not being a designer that was definitely a learning experience.
Check out my IOS app page for more details.
Currently I’m getting up to speed on modern web technologies. Getting the hang of Ruby on Rails and a lot more. I have several projects of my own that I would like to do that require web services.
Although I enjoy working on my own products I’ve also worked with teams on products from inception to release I’m starting to get the itch to do that again. I’m open to permanent, contract/consulting and even startup situations. Mostly I’d like to work on interesting products. Challenges are welcome.
I’m currently in Paris, France and the ideal situation would allow remote work from here. Currently I’m living a minimalist lifestyle (two suitcases, bike, guitar, carry on) so picking up and moving somewhere else would be simple. It’s nice to see more of the world.
Follow the contact link above to get in touch.
Some things I bring to the table
- I’ve developed a number of iOS apps (iPhone/iPad) through the full life cycle including: conception, design, implementation, testing and release.
- Domain expert in the network control of professional broadcast equipment. I’m sure the expertise can apply to the control of any number of embedded products especially in the age of the internet of things
- A large part of my career was spent working on embedded products. Various operating systems, processors and components. iOS is a natural extension of that.
- I gained database and web experience working on an innovative tool that allowed the hardware developers to design the control software for their products modular audio/video processing products and then generated about 95% of the code. At the peak about 30 products were developed using the system.
- I lead several teams on high priority projects
- I speak, read and write: English, French and Polish.
- Over 10 years of software development experience.
Where I’ve Worked
- Uncomplicated Solutions Inc., 2009-Present (my company)
- Microsoft, 2006-2009
- Leitch Technology Corporation (acquired by Harris), 1997-2006
- Ryerson University, 1996-1998 (teaching assistant)
Where I’ve lived
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- Seattle, Washington, USA
- Paris, France